Sunday, July 8, 2012

Words of the Week a.k.a. W.O.W.

Every week my students have W.O.W.  time.  I usually have between 2 to 5 vocabulary words.  I have them between 2-3 times a week.  The first time that I see them each week we write our W.O.W. words in our notebooks.  We then sing a song about the vocabulary words.  I use two wonderful books by fellow Oklahoman Christy Cary Miller.  They are called Music Zone and Music Zone 2. You can find them at West Music or Pender's Music for $29.99.  She has created songs for music vocabulary.  We then put movement to the songs.  This helps the students to remember the words because at this point, they've written the word, sang the words and danced to the word.  It's a great reinforcer.  We then take a short vocabulary quiz at the last class period of the month.  I do this with 3rd and 4th graders.  My lower grades begin learning the songs just for fun throughout their music classes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment